Reading Check-In - Classics Club

It's a beautiful morning, there's a delicate fog and one of the trees outside my window is dotted with yellowing leaves; Autumn is arriving. I've just enjoyed a nice breakfast of Earl Grey and fresh toast with fig marmalade.

Fog Morning Effect, by  Gustave Loiseau
Before I leave for work I will sit in my chair and read a bit of my next Classic but first here's an overview of what I've read since May in the style of Jackie.

Past: The Great Gatsby and Parade's End. I've unconsciously stepped into early 20th century literature the past few months, which has been refreshing-- I've been firmly in the 19th for a long while. I'm rather infatuated with Ford Madox Ford's writing.

Present: Moby Dick. Joining in on The Moby Dick Big Read, a 136 day project. The Mill on the Floss, which I began a few months ago and set aside for Parade's End... poor George Eliot that's the second book of hers I've done that to, but don't misunderstand me I really liked Maggie Tulliver's character and the book so far! Also making my way through a collection of Sherlock Holmes.

Future: The Fifth Queen and Villette. The Autumn seems the perfect time to re-read Bronte's Villette.

Willows in Fog, Gustave Loiseau

Comments

Elena said…
The Great Gatsby is, for me, THE 20th century novel. I adore it.
JaneGS said…
I love the new look of your website--very pretty and functional too! I'm just starting to play around with Tumblr, but I like your idea of using it for quotes.

GG is one of my favorite books of all time--so lyrical, so tragic, so American.

I've not heard of Parade's End--I'll have to check it out.
Katherine Cox said…
@JaneGS: Thank you!

I would love the link to your Tumblr when you launch it. :)

Parade's End is wonderful! I've been working on my write-up of it. Hopefully I'll have it posted this weekend.

Popular Posts